Paul Cézanne - House of Père Lacroix, 1873, oil on canvas
To brighten Cézanne’s dark palette knife, Pissarro told him “Never paint except with the three primary colors… . ” The bright hues and quickly worked brushstrokes reveal here the effect of Pissarro’s influence.
In 1873 Cézanne moved to the village of Auvers, where this was painted. It was near Pissarro’s home, and the two of them often painted side by side during 1873 and 1874. Auvers was also home to Dr. Gachet, a collector who would later care for the despairing Van Gogh. Cézanne may have hoped Gachet would purchase his work, which was ignored by the public. Cézanne returned to Provence, and after inheriting his father’s large estate in 1886, largely abandoned efforts to promote his work. He did not realize commercial success until he was in his fifties. Source
With thanks to cliff1066™